Callaloo and Saltfish Recipe
This Callaloo and Saltfish recipe is an easy and healthy delicious meal. Popular in Jamaica and usually eaten for breakfast, it’s a dish that your whole family will enjoy.
Servings 4 people
- 1/2 lb salt fish cooked and flaked
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 19 oz can callaloo drained
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 green onions chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves removed from stems
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
First, start by prepping your saltfish. You can either soak the saltfish overnight or add the fish to a pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Allow to boil for about 10-12 minutes. Taste the fish. If the fish tastes too salty, bring to a boil again to remove the excess salt.
Once boiled, drain the fish and allow it to cool. Flake the fish into bite-sized pieces.
Cook Callaloo and Saltfish
Next, place a large skillet over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add the oil. Then add the yellow onion, green onion, scotch bonnet pepper, and garlic to the skillet and stir. Cook for about 3 minutes or until onions soften.
Add salt fish to the skillet and stir for an additional minute.
Next, add callaloo, roma tomatoes, thyme, and black pepper. Stir to combine and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- While boiling the saltfish, you'll notice foam at the top. Watch carefully to ensure that the foam does not boil over.
- For a smokey flavor, add cooked bacon to the recipe.
- You can sub spinach, kale, or thinly sliced collard greens for callaloo.