Jamaican Corned Beef and Cabbage
This Jamaican Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe is a staple dish that’s made with fresh cabbage and peppers, corned beef, and other delicious aromatics.
Servings 4 people
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper seeds removed and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 medium-sized cabbage sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1 12 oz can of corned beef
- 2 Roma tomatoes chopped
- 2 springs of fresh thyme leaves removed from stem
- 1 Tablespoon ketchup
- pepper to taste
Heat olive oil in a large heavy bottom pot over medium heat.
Add green bell pepper, yellow onion, and scotch bonnet pepper to the pot and sauté for about 3-5 minutes, until the onions and peppers have softened.
Add garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
Add shredded cabbage and stir and cook for about about 3-5 minutes, until the cabbage has softened a little.
Add corned beef, Roma tomatoes, thyme leaves, and ketchup and stir to combine. Continue to cook for an additional 3-5 minutes until the corned beef is cooked through.
Serve with white rice, bread, or on its own.
- Corned beef is salty on its own so I don't add any additional salt. Adding ground black pepper brings out the flavors of this dish.
- A habanero pepper can be subbed for the scotch bonnet pepper in this recipe.