Southern (Black Folks) Chicken Salad
This Southern Chicken Salad is the best old-fashioned recipe. Black folks chicken salad is made with mayo, pickle relish, spices, and more. Feel free to toss in eggs if you prefer.
Servings 4 servings
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts Shredded or chopped into cubes. You can use rotisserie chicken, cooked chicken, or roast your own chicken breasts.
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 celery stalk Finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions Add more/adjust to taste as necessary.
- 1/4 cup pickle relish I used sweet relish. Use what you prefer.
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Feel free to add cooked, boiled eggs to the salad.
- When using rotisserie chicken, I remove the skin from the breasts. You can leave it if you wish.
- The consistency of this chicken salad is thick and creamy. If you like a really creamy salad, add additional mayo.
- If you are looking to make the recipe with no mayo, use plain Greek yogurt or sour cream instead.
- Leftover chicken salad will get watery as it absorbs the moisture from the salad ingredients. You can drain the excess water and give the salad a stir.