This Southern Chicken Salad is the best old-fashioned recipe. Black folks chicken salad is made with mayo, pickle relish, spices, and more. Feel free to toss in eggs if you prefer.
What Type of Chicken to Use
This recipe is typically made using chicken breasts. You can also use chicken thighs, leftover rotisserie chicken, or store-bought fully cooked chicken breasts/cubes.
How to Cook the Chicken
I like to air fry the chicken. Check out this Air Fryer Chicken Breast Recipe. You can also roast the chicken. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Add 2 chicken breasts to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Bake the chicken for 16-20 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Use a meat thermometer.
Can You Use Canned Chicken?
You can use the same amount of chicken noted in the recipe if you wish to use canned chicken.
How to Make Southern Chicken Salad
Detailed measurements and full instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Combine cooked chicken, mayo, relish, celery, onions, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper to taste in a bowl.
- Stir and served chilled or warm.
What Type of Mayo to Use/Can You Use Miracle Whip
Duke’s Mayo is a Southern favorite and can be found in many recipes. The best mayo to use is your personal favorite. You can use Miracle Whip if you wish.
How to Substitute Mayo
If you are looking to make the recipe with no mayo, use plain Greek yogurt or sour cream instead.
Substitutions and Other Add In Ideas
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Boiled Eggs
- Bell Peppers
How to Serve the Chicken Salad
- Slices of Bread as a Sandwich
- On a Bed of Lettuce
What to Pair With the Salad
How Long it Will Last in Fridge
Store the chicken salad in the fridge tightly covered and sealed for 3 days
Watery Chicken Salad
Leftover chicken salad will get watery as it absorbs the moisture from the salad ingredients. You can drain the excess water and give the salad a stir.
Can You Freeze It?
You can freeze it, but I wouldn’t recommend it. In general, mayo does not freeze well and usually develops ice crystals.
Southern (Black Folks) Chicken Salad
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts Shredded or chopped into cubes. You can use rotisserie chicken, cooked chicken, or roast your own chicken breasts.
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 celery stalk Finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions Add more/adjust to taste as necessary.
- 1/4 cup pickle relish I used sweet relish. Use what you prefer.
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and stir. Taste repeatedly and adjust the spices to suit your taste.
- Serve chilled or warm.
- Feel free to add cooked, boiled eggs to the salad.
- When using rotisserie chicken, I remove the skin from the breasts. You can leave it if you wish.
- The consistency of this chicken salad is thick and creamy. If you like a really creamy salad, add additional mayo.
- If you are looking to make the recipe with no mayo, use plain Greek yogurt or sour cream instead.
- Leftover chicken salad will get watery as it absorbs the moisture from the salad ingredients. You can drain the excess water and give the salad a stir.