This air fryer cornbread recipe is a great side dish, requiring a handful of simple ingredients. It’s the perfect alternative to making cornbread in a cast iron skillet because the air fryer crisps the exterior while leaving the cornbread moist. Serve this easy recipe with your favorite chili. Or, pair this with your favorite comfort food like our smothered chicken, candied yams, baked macaroni and cheese recipes, and collard greens with smoked turkey.
Why Make This?
- Easy and Quick: Making jiffy cornbread in the air fryer is a 4-step process that takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish.
- Save time: This easy cornbread recipe uses a jiffy corn muffin box mix. So, it’s a great option for those who don’t want to make the bread entirely from scratch.
- Perfect Side Dish: cornbread is a great addition to any meal. So, the options are endless in terms of meals that it can go with
- Jiffy Mix: I’m using a box of Jiffy cornbread mix, but you can also use our homemade cornbread mix recipe. Similar to Jiffy, it uses yellow cornmeal and all-purpose flour.
- Sugar: I prefer sweeter cornbread, so I always add this to my mix. You can skip this and save the sweetness for the toppings if you wish
- Large egg
- Butter: Melted
- Nonstick Cooking Spray: I use olive oil or avocado oil spray to season the pan before adding the cornbread mixture.
How To Make Air Fryer Cornbread
- Whisk the milk, eggs, sweetener, and melted butter together in a medium bowl.
- Fold in the jiffy cornbread mix and gently mix to incorporate
- Spray your air fryer baking pan accessory (or an oven-safe round dish that fits in your air fryer) with oil.
- Add the jiffy cornbread batter to the pan. Air fry at 330 degrees for 18-20 minutes, or until you poke the center of the cornbread with a toothpick and it comes out clean.
Recipe FAQs & Tips
- Allow your wet ingredients (eggs and milk) to come to room temperature before mixing them with the dry ingredients
- Use lower temperatures to cook your jiffy cornbread in the air fryer. This way, it cooks evenly and remains moist as opposed to high temperatures that may dry it out.
- You can use either your air fryer baking pan accessory or an oven-safe round dish that fits in your air fryer.
- For sweet cornbread serve with whipped honey butter or maple syrup
- Adjusting cooking time for muffins: if you want to make cornbread muffins, just add the corn bread batter to silicone muffin cups (or another liner) and bake. They will take less time since they are smaller.
Adjust the ingredients depending on what your cornbread batter requires. For example, my cheddar cheese jalapeño cornbread mixture requires sour cream. So, be sure to make the batter as called for in the recipe before adding it to your air fryer pan.
Use any baking dish that fits: any oven-safe pan that fits in your air fryer can be used for this air fryer recipe. For example, if you have a small bundt pan or cake pan that fits in your air fryer, you can use it. You can also use silicone cupcake liners.
Using & Storing Leftover Cornbread
- Reheat leftover cornbread in the microwave: just cover it with a damp paper towel to preserve moisture as it warms
- Use day-old cornbread in recipes like my Southern jiffy cornbread stuffing or any of these cornbread dressing recipes.
- Store leftover cornbread in an airtight container for up to 4 days. You can also add it to a freezer bag and freezer it for up to 3 months.
Yes. You can use any oven-safe pan that fits in your air fryer.
Yes. You can use the reheat setting on your air fryer to reheat it. I personally find it quicker to reheat it in the microwave.
Yes. Both paper and silicon muffin liners will do.
Some reasons that your cornbread does not have a golden brown crunchy top are: your cornbread is undercooked; there was too much liquid in the batter; or there was too much batter for your pan. For most of these issues, you can try to cook your batter longer.
Recipes to Enjoy This With:
Air Fryer Jiffy Cornbread
- 1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 1/2 tbsp sugar optional
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- Olive Oil Spray or avocado oil spray for seasoning the pan
- Whisk the milk, eggs, sweetener, and melted butter together in a large mixing bowl.
- Fold in the jiffy cornbread mix and gently mix to incorporate.
- Spray your air fryer baking pan accessory (or an oven safe round dish that fits your air fryer) with oil.
- Add the jiffy cornbread batter to the pan.
- Air fry at 330 degrees for 18-20 minutes, or until you poke the center of the cornbread with a toothpick & it comes out clean.