This air fryer sausage and potatoes recipe is my go-to, one-pot quick meal for a busy weeknight. Packed with Cajun food flavors, it’s on your dinner table in about 30 minutes. In this post, I’ll share how to make a hearty meal in the air fryer, suggest some ingredient variations, and offer helpful recipe tips.
Why Make This?
- Easy Meals for a busy weeknight: This one pot sausage and potatoes dinner is a great recipe for busy weeknights. Prepping the ingredients and doing the actual cooking takes less than 30 minutes. Plus, your entire family will enjoy it.
- Simple ingredients: Most of the required ingredients are already in your kitchen, while the rest are available at the local store.
- Baby red potatoes: I cut my baby potatoes into quarters. You may need to cut some into sixths or eighths to make consistent cuts.
- Smoked sausage: I used fully cooked sausage that I cut into about 1-inch slices.
- Garlic powder
- Bell peppers: You can use green bell peppers, a red pepper or another that you prefer. I chopped these so be roughly the same size of the potatoes.
- Yellow onion: Chopped
- Cajun seasoning: this is a salt-free seasoning mix, that includes things like onion powder and black pepper, white pepper, a little dried parsley and more. Since it doesn’t have added salt, you have the ultimate flexibility for salting these seasoned potatoes to taste.
- Sea salt: I typically save this until the end and salt to my personal preference.
- Olive oil: I use olive oil or avocado oil, but other options include vegetable oil. These help with browning the potatoes.
How To Make Air Fryer Sausage and Potatoes
- Add the potatoes to a strainer and rinse them in cold water (to remove excess starch).
- Add the ingredients to a large bowl and mix to incorporate.
- Add the cut sausages, seasoning, and vegetables to your air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Air fry at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes (the goal is to make the potatoes tender enough for you). Stir halfway through.
Top Recipe Tips & Cooking FAQs
- Rinse the potato cuts in cold water to remove excess starch. Soaking them in cold water for a few hours and rinsing them before cooking works even better.
- I used turkey kielbasa sausage. But, a different type of sausage like andouille sausage, or polish sausage would also work.
- I use fully cooked sausage, but for best results, if you are using raw sausage, then you should be sure to adjust the cook time until a meat thermometer says that they have reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Add your favorite dips like honey mustard, barbecue sauce, or ketchup.
- Swap other potatoes like russet, Yukon gold, or other little potatoes.
- Switch the seasoning: You can use Italian seasoning like I do in this air fryer Italian sausage recipe.
- Add other vegetables like green beans for a complete meal.
- For Breakfast or Dinner: this sausage dinner can also work for breakfast by using breakfast sausages.
Storage and Leftovers
Store leftover potatoes and sausage in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the fridge.
When I make this for my family, I heat them in the microwave for about 1 minute the next day.
Cook sausages at 390 degrees for about 8-10 minutes per side, depending on how browned you’d like them to be.
Yes, you can put raw sausages in the air fryer, but this air fryer sausage and potatoes recipe uses smoked sausage.
Yes. It’s safe and neat to use foil in the air fryer.
More Air Fryer Sausage and Potato Recipes
Other air fryer sausage and potato recipes you can try are:
- Air Fryer Breakfast Potatoes
- Air fryer kielbasa
- Air fryer chicken sausage
- Air fryer baked sweet potatoes
- Air fryer hot dogs
Air Fryer Sausage and Potatoes
- Air fryer
- 12 oz baby red potatoes cut into quarters – some may need to be cut into sixths or eighths to make the cuts consistent
- 12 oz smoked sausage like kielbasa or andouille sausage, cut into about 1 inch pieces
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 cup bell peppers green bell peppers or red bell peppers, chopped
- 3/4 cup yellow onion chopped
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp Black pepper
- 1 tbsp Cajun Seasoning you can make cajun seasoning with this recipe from the site.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Rinse potatoes in a strainer to remove excess starch.
- Add the ingredients to a bowl and mix to incorporate.
- Add the seasoned meat and vegetables to your air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Air Fry at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, the goal is to make the potatoes tender enough for you. Stir halfway through.