Do you love collard greens but don’t have the time to make them the traditional way? If so, you’ll love this recipe for Instant Pot Collard Greens. With just a few minutes of prep time, you can have tender and delicious greens that are perfect for a side dish or main course.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read our full disclosure here.
Detailed measurements and full instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Collard greens are a traditional soul food dish served often, but they shine on New Year’s Day. Eating collard greens is part of the tradition because they symbolize wealth and prosperity for the coming year. Collards can take hours to cook, but with this Instant Pot recipe, you can enjoy them in no time! All you need to do is combine the ingredients in the pot, seal it, and let it do its magic. In less than an hour, you’ll be able to enjoy this delicious and nutritious dish. Now you can start your year with wealth and good health!
Collard greens are not only tasty but also highly nutritious. They are an excellent source of dietary fiber, vitamins A, C, and K, calcium, iron, and magnesium. Eating collards can help lower cholesterol levels and promote overall good health.
Ingredients Needed for Collard Greens
- Smoked meat – Smoked meats give the turkey a wonderful flavor. You can use smoked turkey, ham hocks, or even smoked bacon.
- Yellow onion and garlic – These add flavor. I’m likely to add this to every pot of greens I ever make.
- Liquid – I use chicken broth for added flavor. Vegetable broth or even water can be subbed if you don’t have chicken broth.
- Red pepper flakes – for a tiny bit of spice.
- Collard Greens – I use fresh collard greens that have been chopped into 1-inch pieces. You can also use bagged collard greens if you don’t have access to collards.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – This helps with the bitterness of collard greens.
How to make Instant Pot Collard Greens
Add smoked turkey meat, onion, garlic cloves, red pepper flakes, and chicken broth into the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker. Then add collard greens on top and push down.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker, making sure the valve is set to “Sealing.”
Pressure cook on high pressure for 35 minutes.
Once the time is up, do a quick release by switching the valve to “Venting.”
Open the lid and remove the turkey meat from the pressure cooker.
Allow the meat to cool slightly, and use hands or forks to shred the meat off the bone. Return the meat to the Instant Pot.
Add Apple Cider Vinegar to the collards and stir.
Serve and enjoy 🙂
How to clean collard greens?
Before cooking the collards, make sure to wash them thoroughly. The best way to do this is by running each leaf under cold water and inspecting for any dirt or debris on the leaves. Once the leaves are rinsed off, give them a quick chop to break down the fibrous stems.
Should I soak my collard greens?
It’s not necessary to soak your collards in water before cooking them. If you choose to soak the leaves, make sure to use cold water and add a few tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice which helps remove any residual dirt and minimize potential bitterness from the stems. Soaking can also help break down the tough fibers in some collard greens varieties, which can help make them more tender.
What meat is best for collard greens?
Typically, any smoked meat is the best type of meat to use for collard greens. The smokiness from these meats gives the greens a savory flavor and pairs perfectly with the slight bitterness in the leaves. You can use ham hocks or smoked bacon.
Can I make these Instant Pot Collard Greens meatless?
Yes, you can easily make this recipe vegetarian or vegan. Simply omit the smoked turkey and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth to make a delicious meatless side dish.
Making Collard Greens in an Instant Pot is an easy and time-saving way to enjoy this classic comfort food. With just a few minutes of prep time
What to serve with collard greens?
More Greens Recipes
I hope you enjoy this Instant Pot Collard Greens recipe as much as we do. If you have tried this recipe, or any other recipe on our site, then please rate it and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
Instant Pot Collard Greens (Southern Style)
- 1 lb smoked turkey meat fully cooked (wings, legs, or necks)
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch collard greens washed, chopped into 1-inch pieces (about 8 cups)
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- Add smoked turkey meat, onion, garlic cloves, red pepper flakes, chicken broth into Pressure Cooker. Then add collard greens on top, pushing down so that the greens are not sticking out the pressure cooker.
- Place lid on pressure cooker, making sure the valve is set to “Sealing.”
- Pressure cook on high pressure for 35 minutes.
- Once time is up, do a quick release by switching the valve to “Venting.”
- Open lid and remove turkey meat from pressure cooker. Use forks to shred the meat off the bone, returning the meat to the pressure cooker.
- Add Apple cider vinegar to the collards and stir.
- Serve and Enjoy 🙂
- This recipe was prepared in a 6qt Instant Pot. Please adjust accordingly for 3qt and 8qt models.