With juicy peaches and an irresistible biscuit-like topping, this vegan peach cobbler recipe is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser!
Peach cobbler is the kind of comfort food dessert that just makes you feel good. And this vegan version is every bit as delicious as the classic, made with juicy peaches, a touch of sugar and spice, and a fluffy sweet biscuit topping. Cobblers are a classic Southern dessert that can be made with just about any fruit, but peaches are definitely my personal favourite!
What Is the Difference Between Peach Cobbler and Peach Crisp?
There are a few key differences between peach cobbler and peach crisp. Peach cobbler is made with a biscuit-like dough for the topping, while peach crisp is made with an oat and streusel topping. This makes peach cobbler a bit more substantive and filling, while a crisp is a lighter dessert. Neither dessert has a bottom crust, and both can be made in baking dishes of all shapes and sizes, unlike a pie which is generally baked up in a round pie plate.
What You’ll Need
Scroll down to the recipe card below this post for ingredient quantities and full instructions.
For the Batter:
- All purpose flour – You can use a measure-for-measure gluten-free baking flour to make this peach cobbler recipe gluten-free and vegan.
- Baking powder
- Sea salt
- White sugar – Use organic to ensure that it’s vegan.
- Brown sugar – I recommend light brown sugar.
- Soy milk – Or another non-dairy milk you like or have on hand.
- Vanilla extract
- Canned peaches – Reserve the liquid from one can, then drain the other.
- Lemon juice – This is optional, but it offsets some of the sweetness in the filling.
- Sea salt
- Vanilla extract
- Cornstarch – This is combined with vegan milk to make a cornstarch slurry.
- Vegan butter
Can Vegans Have Sugar?
Some commercial sugar is processed with bone char, making it not vegan (although this process is decreasing). However, there are brands of sugar that do not use bone char in their processing, which would make them vegan-friendly. Just use organic sugar and you should be fine! Beet sugar is also always vegan, so it’s a safe choice for using in any recipe.
How to Make Vegan Peach Cobbler
Here’s what you’ll need to do to make a classic Southern peach cobbler, vegan-style.
Prepare. Preheat your oven to 350°F/180°C.
Make the cobbler topping. Sift the flour, baking powder and sea salt into a large bowl. Whisk in the white and brown sugar, followed by the milk and vanilla extract. Stir for about 1 minute, or until fully combined.
Make the peach filling. In a separate bowl, combine one can of peaches with the liquid, one can of peaches without the liquid, cinnamon, vanilla, sea salt, and the cornstarch slurry. Stir everything together.
Melt the butter. Place the vegan butter into the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking pan. Put the pan in the preheated oven and leave it there for 2 to 3 minutes to melt the butter.
Assemble. Take the baking dish out of the oven and pour the batter over the butter, stirring gently. Pour the peach mixture over the batter, then sprinkle with cinnamon.
Bake. Return the pan to the oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until the cobbler is fully cooked through and bubbling. Cool slightly, then serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Tips for Success
These tips will help you make the perfect vegan peach cobbler.
- Don’t use peach pie filling. You need canned peaches—the kind that’s packed in juice or syrup. Peach pie filling would be much too sweet in this recipe!
- Distribute the peaches evenly. Once you add the peaches to the baking dish, use a wooden spoon to make sure they’re spread out all over the biscuit layer.
- Make it your own. Feel free to change up the spices and filling to put your own spin on this recipe. One idea to try is swapping the vanilla extract with almond extract, which tastes amazing with peaches!
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Store leftover peach cobbler in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place the cobbler in a 350°F/180°C oven until warmed through. You can also reheat individual servings in the microwave.
Can This Recipe Be Frozen?
Yes, you can freeze this recipe. Simply place the peach cobbler in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy, thaw overnight in the fridge and then reheat according to the instructions above.
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup white sugar use organic to ensure vegan
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup soy milk
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 15 ounce cans peaches reserve liquid from one can, drain the other
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice optional
- Sprinkle of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch + 1 teaspoon vegan milk
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter to melt for 3 minutes in hot pan
- Add ½ teaspoon cinnamon over the top
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and sea salt.
- Add in the white and brown sugar and whisk together. Pour in the milk and vanilla extract while stirring, then stir completely for about 1 minute until fully combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add one can of peaches + the liquid, one can of peaches minus the liquid (aka drain away the liquid), the cinnamon, the vanilla, the sea salt and the cornstarch slurry. Stir together until combined.
- Once your oven is preheated, add the 6 tablespoons of vegan butter to the bottom of your 9×13 pan. Add it to your preheated oven and heat for 2-3 minutes until melted and the pan is hot.
- Remove from oven and working quickly, pour the batter over the butter. Stir together slightly/push it to the edges. Pour over the peach mix. You can try to slot the peaches evenly around. Mix together just a little as you desire to make it look symmetrical (I flip the peaches on their sides and try to get them all showing but it’s optional).
- Sprinkle that last ½ teaspoon cinnamon over the top of the peach cobbler! Add back to your oven.
- Bake for 40 minutes until the cobbler is fully cooked and bubbling. Remove, allow to cool slightly, serve and top with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!