Making homemade Buffalo sauce is so easy, you may never buy store-bought again. In under 10 minutes you’ll have delicious Buffalo sauce at your disposal. Chicken wings, dip, pizza…you can use this Buffalo sauce on so many things!
There are tons of versions of Buffalo sauces out there. It’s one of those recipes where everyone puts their own unique spin on it. Here you’ll see that I keep things simple and only use 3 ingredients!
What Is Buffalo Sauce
Buffalo sauce originated in….Buffalo New York. It’s a spicy & buttery sauce that is used as a condiment or dipping sauce. Is Buffalo sauce the same thing as hot sauce? No. However, hot sauce is one of the two main ingredients in Buffalo Sauce but not the other way around.
Ingredients For Homemade Buffalo Sauce
Technically there are only 2 ingredients needed for Buffalo sauce: Frank’s Hot Sauce and butter. Any additional ingredients are for personal flavor & flare. For instance, I also add a bit of white vinegar. The vinegar is listed as an optional ingredient because you do not need it to be a proper Buffalo sauce.
- Hot Sauce: You will need a cayenne pepper based hot sauce like Frank’s Hot Sauce.
- Butter: 2/3 cup of butter per 1 cup of hot sauce is the ratio used here. Feel free to play around with the butter measurements.
- White vinegar: This is an optional ingredient since it’s not necessary. If you find yourself without vinegar or forget to add it, don’t worry your homemade sauce will still taste great.
How To Make Homemade Buffalo Sauce
Making homemade buffalo sauce is very easy. You combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for a few minutes. Whisking is required to this is not a sauce you can leave unattended.
What Type Of Hot Sauce To Use
I recently discovered that to use the term Buffalo sauce, Frank’s Hot Sauce has to be the hot sauce used. Personally, Frank’s is my go-to hot sauce so I have no problem there. If the technicality does not concern you, just be sure to use a cayenne pepper based hot sauce…like Frank’s.
What To Serve Buffalo Sauce With
Most people think of Buffalo chicken wings when they hear the words Buffalo sauce. That’s what I use Buffalo sauce for 99% of the time. Having said that, these days Buffalo sauce is used on or in many different recipes like cauliflower bites, catfish, sliders, pizza, meatballs, salads, dips, chili, etc.
Recipes To Use This Buffalo Sauce With
Storing Homemade Buffalo Sauce
Store unused sauce in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 30 days. Can you freeze leftover sauce? Yes! Place the sauce in an airtight freezer bag. Store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Tips For Making Homemade Buffalo Sauce
- I do not suggest you add salt but if you do, don’t use much. Hot sauce & vinegar will take care of the sodium content.
- Reheat buffalo sauce in the microwave or on the stove-top.
- Shake or stir your Buffalo sauce before serving.
- Add heat to your sauce by stirring in a bit of cayenne pepper while the cooking.
Other Sauce Recipes You May Enjoy
Homemade Buffalo Sauce
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar (optional)
- In a medium size saucepan, add the hot sauce, butter, and vinegar (if using). Bring to a simmer.
- Cook 7-10 minutes, whisking occasionally.