Shake up your side dish game with mashed turnips—a delicious, lower-carb alternative to mashed potatoes that’s just as creamy and comforting!
Detailed measurements and full instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Mashed potatoes get all the love when it comes to a delicious mashed side dish, but mashed turnips should get just as much hype. I first got into mashed turnips when I moved to the Carolinas, and my husband’s grandmother made sure we had some at every Holiday feast.
My family loves them because they’re way lighter than some of the other heavy-hitters, like dressing, super creamy mashed potatoes, and mac and cheese. Honestly, it’s gotten to the point where a holiday meal just isn’t the same if we don’t have our beloved mashed turnips.
I like to keep my mashed turnips recipe pretty simple. All you need is some salt, pepper, garlic powder, and a little butter for some of the best-mashed turnips you’ve ever had.
Ingredients for Mashed Turnips
- Turnip roots – peeled, cut, and boiled. I suggest using smaller turnips. Larger turnips can sometimes be bitter.
- Unsalted butter – Butter adds flavor and richness.
- Seasoning – Garlic powder, salt, and pepper
- Large pot
- Potato masher or hand blender
- Cutting Board and Knife
How to make Mashed Turnips
Start by peeling the turnips and cutting them into 1-inch pieces. Place the peeled and cubed turnips in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until the turnips are fork-tender, about 20-25 minutes.
Drain the turnips in a colander and return them to the pot.
Add garlic powder, butter, salt, and pepper to the pot.
Use a potato masher or hand blender to mash the ingredients together until smooth. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
How to Store
Mashed turnips can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. You can also freeze them for up to 3 months; just be sure to let them cool before sealing in a freezer-safe container.
Can I Use the Turnip Greens?
Absolutely! If you’re lucky enough to find turnips with the greens attached, remove them and sauté the turnips. Turnip greens are not only edible but also packed with nutrients. You can sauté them in a bit of olive oil and garlic for a quick side dish.
Are Turnips Low-Carb?
Yes, turnips are a lower-carb alternative to potatoes, making them a great option for those watching their carbohydrate intake.
- Choose the Right Turnips: Smaller turnips are generally sweeter and less woody than their larger counterparts. Look for turnips that are firm, smooth, and free of blemishes for the best flavor and texture.
- Use the Greens: Don’t toss out those turnip greens! They’re packed with nutrients and can be sautéed, added to salads, or even blended into smoothies. It’s like getting two veggies for the price of one!
- Garlic Herb Mashed Turnips: Add minced garlic and your choice of fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme, or chives for an aromatic and flavorful twist.
- Cheesy Mashed Turnips: Stir in some grated Parmesan or cheddar cheese to make your mashed turnips irresistibly cheesy.
- Root Vegetable Mash: Mix in other root vegetables like carrots, parsnips, or even sweet potatoes for a medley of flavors and nutrients.
Yes! Swap out the butter for a plant-based alternative.
Of course! Feel free to add herbs like rosemary or spices like nutmeg to suit your taste.
Turnips have a mildly peppery and sweet flavor, similar to a cross between a radish and a potato.
Looking for other delicious mashed sides? Try these out:
Classic Mashed Turnips
- 2 pounds Turnip roots peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place the turnips in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until the turnips are fork-tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Drain the turnips in a colander and return them to the pot.
- Add garlic powder, butter, salt, and pepper to the pot.
- Use a potato masher or hand blender to mash the ingredients together until smooth. Serve and enjoy.