This creamy and spiced carrot pie recipe is the perfect dessert for your Holiday celebrations. This pie is a family favorite, made with tender carrots and flavored with nutmeg.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read our full disclosure here.
Detailed measurements and full instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
But have you heard of carrot pie??? It may not be as popular, but it’s amazing! When I decided to make my version of this recipe, I drew inspiration from my favorite drink, carrot juice, that they make in the Caribbean.
Although most carrot pie recipes are made with sugar and evaporated milk, I chose to use sweetened condensed milk, just like they do in my favorite carrot juice recipe.
Ingredients for Carrot Pie Recipe
- 9-inch pie crust – this can be homemade or from the store, your choice. You will want to par-bake the crust before adding the filling.
- Carrots – I suggest using whole carrots for this recipe, as they provide the best flavor.
- Sweetened condensed milk – the milk in this cake. This will also sweeten the cake, eliminating the need to add granulated or brown sugar.
- Large eggs – for structure.
- Vanilla extract and nutmeg – are both ingredients used in carrot juice, so I used them in this pie.
- Salt – I always like to add a pinch of salt to my pies.
How to make Carrot Pie
First, Prepare your pie crust. Follow the directions on your pie crust recipe.
Next, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. While the oven is preheating, prepare your carrots.
Place the chopped carrots in a large pan and cover with about 1 inch of water. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook the carrots for 10-15 minutes, until softened. Remove from heat.
Drain the carrots, add them to a food processor, and process until smooth.
Add condensed milk, eggs, vanilla extract, ground nutmeg, and salt, and continue to process until smooth.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pie dish.
Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, until the pie is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven.
Allow the pie to cool for at least 1 hour before slicing. Top with whipped cream and enjoy 🙂
How to store leftover Carrot Pie
To refrigerate: As this recipe contains eggs, keep any leftover pie in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
To freeze: Once cooked and cooled, wrap the pie in plastic wrap, then foil, and store in the freezer for up to 1 month. Defrost overnight in the fridge when you are ready to enjoy.
What does carrot pie taste like?
This carrot pie is a sweet pie and tastes similar to my favorite carrot drink. It is similar in texture to a pumpkin or sweet potato pie.
How do you know when the carrot pie is done?
When the pie filling has set and is no longer liquid, it’s cooked! You can tell that your carrot dessert has reached its desired doneness by sticking in a toothpick. If it comes out clean, the pie is done.
Should carrot pie be served hot or cold?
Don’t serve it hot straight from the oven, allow it to cool as this gives the center time to set. It’s best served at room temperature.
Other dessert recipes
Carrot Pie Recipe
- 9- inch prepared pie crust*
- 4 cups peeled and chopped carrots 1 lb 4oz
- 1 cup condensed milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the carrots in a large pan and cover with about 1 inch of water. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook the carrots for 10-15 minutes, until softened. Remove from heat.
- Drain the carrots and add them to a food processor and process until smooth.
- Add condensed milk, eggs, vanilla extract, ground nutmeg, and salt and continue to process until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pie dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, until the pie is set. Remove from the oven. Allow to cool for at least 1 hour before slicing. Enjoy 🙂