These Crispy Hot Honey Old Bay Wings are the perfect combo of sweet and mild spice. Plus, they’re a way to switch up your typical buffalo wings recipe. I bake the wings crisp using Old Bay seasoning and a few other spices. Then, toss them in a homemade Honey Old Bay Hot Sauce. Enjoy this with our Southern Corn Salad, Southern Fried Cabbage with Bacon, or Southern Candied Sweet Potatoes.
Why Make Hot Honey Old Bay Wings
- Crispy without deep frying: crispy baked chicken wings offer the crunch of fried chicken without deep frying. You can also make these wings crisp in your air fryer too!
- Sweet & mild Buffalo Wings alternative: If you enjoy mild buffalo wings but want to switch things up a bit, then these offer a unique alternative.
Hot Honey Old Bay Sauce
- Butter: I melted this is the microwave when I was ready to make the sauce and didn’t worry about cooling it.
- Hot Sauce: You can use our homemade buffalo wing sauce or use any hot sauce that you prefer
- Honey: any honey or honey substitute will work to give the wings a mildly sweet flavor
- Old Bay Seasoning: I like to amp up the flavor of Old Bay by using some on the sauce. You can add more or less to taste.
Crispy Old Bay Chicken Wings
- Chicken Wings: I used about 20 wing parts. However, you can use whole chicken wings if you wish.
- Baking Powder: this helps the wings get crispy without deep frying. So, do not omit it.
- Old Bay
- Garlic Powder
- Dried Parsley
How to Make Hot Honey Old Bay Wings
- Pat the chicken wings dry, mix the spices and toss the chicken to coat.
- Place wings on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet or a baking sheet with a cooling rack. Cook the wings in the oven for 20-25 minutes per side.
- Add all ingredients for the sauce to a small bowl. Whisk to incorporate.
- Add the wings to a bowl with some of the sauce and toss to coat.
Top Cooking Tips & FAQs
- Adjust the bake time for added crispiness: the longer you cook your wings in the oven, the crispier they will become. For saucy wings, I tend to keep my chicken in for closer to 25 minutes per side so that they can still be slightly crisp after I add the hot honey Old Bay sauce.
- Use all of the spice mix: the spice mix contains flavor, but also helps the wings get crispy. Be sure to coat all parts of the wings evenly with the spices
How do you make Old Bay wings sauce?
For Old Bay Wing sauce, I add the honey, Old Bay, butter, and hot sauce to a small bowl and whisk it to incorporate it.
What gives Old Bay its flavor?
Old Bay has a range of peppers and spices like celery seed that give it a unique flavor.
Recipes to Enjoy This With
- BBQ Hennessy Wings
- Honey Lemon Pepper Wings Recipe
- Easy Collard Greens With Ham Hocks
- Patti Labelle’s Mac and Cheese Recipe
Hot Honey Old Bay Wings
Make Crispy Hot Honey Old Bay Wings in the oven or your air fryer using this easy recipe. Uses a homemade Honey Old Bay Hot Sauce.
Hot Honey Old Bay Sauce
- 2 tbsp butter melted and hot
- 2 tbsp hot sauce or buffalo wing sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
Oven Fried Wings
- 1.5 lb Chicken Wings about 20 wing parts
- 1.5 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Dried Parsley
For the wings
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove the chicken wing parts from the refrigerator and pat dry (removing as much moisture as possible helps to have a crispy wing skin)
- Mix the old bay, garlic powder, dried parsley and baking powder in a small dish or ramekin.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mixture on the wings and toss the wings to coat.
- Place wings on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet or a baking sheet with a cooling rack.
- Cook the wings in the oven for 20-25 minutes per side.
For the sauce
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl.
- Whisk to incorporate.
Finish the dish
- Add the wings to a bowl.
- Pour some of the sauce on top. Toss to coat.
Wednesday 8th of February 2023