Switch up your traditional BBQ wings with this easy BBQ Hennessy Wings recipe. These wings are crispy, sweet, smokey, and filled with Hennessy flavor. Though many recipes require deep frying, I share a way to get crispy chicken wings in the oven or your air fryer without flour or breading. Enjoy these with our collard greens with ham hocks, Patti Labelle’s Mac and Cheese Recipe, and Southern Sweet Tea to make a meal.
Why Make Hennessy Wings
- Fried chicken without deep frying: you can make crispy chicken without deep-frying the wings in oil. These wings don’t have any breading and are the perfect baked chicken option when you’re really craving crunchy chicken.
- Sweet & smokey BBQ sauce with Hennessy flavor: Hennessy goes so well with BBQ because of it’s rich flavor. It brings out all the sweet and smokiness of BBQ sauce, making this combo a delicious winner.
Hennessy BBQ Sauce
- Hennessy: I’m using Hennessy, a type of cognac.
- Brown Sugar: I’m using a brown sugar substitute, but you can use any brown sugar that you prefer.
- BBQ Sauce: This recipes works best with a hickory, Kansas City-style bbq sauce. You can pick that up from the store or use my homemade keto bbq sauce recipe. You can also use our homemade bbq sauce recipe.
Oven Fried Chicken Wings
- Chicken Wings: I get these sectioned into flats and drums, but you can use drumettes or whole chicken wings, if you prefer.
- Baking Powder: The key to getting crispy chicken wings without flour or deep frying is baking powder.
- Natural Ancient Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Smoked Paprika
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
How to Make Hennessy Wings
- Mix the sea salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and baking powder in a small dish or ramekin. Sprinkle the seasoning mixture on the wings and toss the wings to coat.
- Place wings on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet or a baking sheet with a cooling rack. Cook the wings in the oven for 20-25 minutes per side.
- Add all ingredients for the Hennessy Sauce to a medium saucepan. Whisk to incorporate. Heat on medium low for about 10 minutes or until the sauce looks more like a light syrup. This steps helps to burn off the alcohol while keeping the Hennessy flavor.
- Pour the sauce on the wings and toss to coat.
Top Cooking Tips & FAQs
- Use all of the baking powder spice mix: The baking powder spice mix includes a lot of flavor. Be sure to use all of it.
- Air fry or make the wings in the oven: You can air fry these chicken wings using my popular air fryer wings recipe (this takes half the time compared to baking). You can also bake fried chicken wings.
No. Cooking with Hennessy is similar to cooking with wine. The time spent heating the sauce burns off most of the alcohol, but it keeps the Hennessy flavor.
Brown sugar (or brown sugar replacement), Hennessy (cognac), and BBQ sauce.
Recipes to Enjoy This With
- Southern Candied Sweet Potatoes
- Easy Collard Greens With Ham Hocks
- Jiffy Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
- Patti Labelle’s Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Southern Fried Cabbage with Bacon
More Saucy Chicken Wings Recipes
- Honey Lemon Pepper Wings Recipe
- Garlic Parmesan Wings
- Honey Garlic Chicken Wings
- Sweet Chili Chicken Wings
- Orange Honey BBQ Wings
- Honey Sesame Ghost Pepper Wings
Hennessy BBQ Sauce
- 1/4 cup Hennessy
- 1/2 cup brown sugar I'm using a keto brown sugar replacement, but any brown sugar will work
- 1/2 cup BBQ Sauce Any hickory or Kansas City-style bbq sauce will work, including my keto bbq sauce
- 1.5 lbs Chicken Wings sectioned into flats and drums
- 1/4 tsp Natural Ancient Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1.5 tbsp Baking Powder
For the wings
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove the chicken wing parts from the refrigerator and pat dry (removing as much moisture as possible helps to have a crispy wing skin)
- Mix the sea salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and baking powder in a small dish or ramekin.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mixture on the wings and toss the wings to coat.
- Place wings on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet or a baking sheet with a cooling rack.
- Cook the wings in the oven for 25 minutes per side.
For the sauce
- Add all ingredients to a medium saucepan. Whisk to incorporate.
- Heat on medium low for about 10 minutes or until the sauce looks more like a light syrup.
Finish the dish
- Add the wings to a bowl.
- Pour some of the sauce on top – about ½ cup of sauce should be enough.
- Toss to coat.
- Drizzle or add more sauce as needed.