Take your crispy lemon pepper wings to the next level with this baked Hot Honey Lemon Pepper Wings recipe. It’s sweet, citrusy and mildly spicy. Enjoy these with our Easy Collard Greens With Ham Hocks, Patti Labelle’s Mac and Cheese Recipe, Southern Candied Sweet Potatoes and Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread to make a Sunday Meal!
Why Make Honey Lemon Pepper Wings
- Amps up the flavor in traditional lemon pepper wings: by adding hot honey to your lemon pepper wings, you get all the flavor with the added sweet kick.
- Crispy Baked: this recipe uses all the key ingredients of my popular crispy baked chicken wings, giving the flavor and crunch of fried chicken without having to deep fry them.
Honey Lemon Pepper Sauce
- Butter: I’m using salted butter that is melted and still hot
- Lemon Juice: You can use the juice of fresh lemons or lemon juice from a bottle
- Hot sauce: any hot sauce will work, including our Homemade Buffalo Sauce
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning: your favorite lemon pepper seasoning will work.
Oven Fried Wings
- Chicken Wings: I’m using thawed chicken wings. You can cut them into parts or simply leave the wings whole.
- Baking Powder: this is important for helping the wings to get crispy. So, do not leave this out.
- Black Pepper
- Smoked Paprika
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
How to Make Honey Lemon Pepper Wings
- Mix the spices in a small dish or ramekin. Sprinkle the seasoning mixture on the wings and toss the wings to coat.
- Place wings on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet or a baking sheet with a cooling rack. Bake the wings
- Mix the ingredients for the honey lemon pepper sauce
- Toss the wings to coat in the sauce
Top Cooking Tips & FAQs
- Use all of the baking powder mixture: this helps the wings crisp and give them flavor. After patting the chicken dry, be sure to coat every part of the wings with this mixture.
- Add more hot sauce to taste: these wings are sweet and mildly spicy. But, you can add more heat to the sauce by adding more hot sauce or using a spicier hot sauce like I did in my honey sesame ghost pepper wings.
- Hold the salt: if you’ve made my other wing recipes, you might be wondering where the salt is in the ingredients for this recipe. I omit it because most lemon pepper seasonings come with salt and to make sure that I can add as much of that as I want, I don’t add it when baking the wings.
Recipes to Enjoy This With
- BBQ Hennessy Wings Recipe
- Southern Corn Salad
- Southern Green Beans and Potatoes
- Patti Labelle’s Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Patti LaBelle’s Potato Salad
Honey Lemon Pepper Wings
Honey Lemon Pepper Sauce
- 3 tbsp Butter melted and hot
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Hot Sauce or our homemade buffalo sauce
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 3 tsp Lemon pepper seasoning
Crispy Baked Wings
- 1.5 lb Chicken Wings cut into parts or whole
- 1/2 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Onion Powder
For the wings
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove the chicken wing parts from the refrigerator and pat dry (removing as much moisture as possible helps to have a crispy wing skin)
- Mix the black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and baking powder in a small dish or ramekin.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mixture on the wings and toss the wings to coat.
- Place wings on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet or a baking sheet with a cooling rack.
- Cook the wings in the oven for 20-25 minutes per side (depends on how crispy you'd like them)
For the sauce
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl.
- Whisk to incorporate.
Finish the dish
- Add the wings to a bowl.
- Pour some of the sauce on top.
- Toss to coat.